Monday, June 28, 2010

Meet Shannon


This is Shannon. Shannon is not a dancer- but she is a "woman at the well." When I first saw her I was drawn to her and thought to myself, "I want to get to know her." God even hears our thoughts and less than an hour later, she approached me and asked me if I would have time to talk with her. We talked briefly and scheduled an appointment for her to meet me at my office the next day. She shared with me how she has been addicted to crack/cocaine for years. She is a mother of 4 children with 3 different dads and 2 of the fathers are in prison and she has lost custody of all them.
A week ago I found myself at Shannon's crack house- begging her to leave with me. Addiction has a stronghold on a person like no other. She would not leave with me- like she pictured doing when she asked me when she was sober to come and get her if her car was there. So, with out success in getting her out- I rallied the troops. Those in my circle were praying- all over the country- as far as California. We filled a car and starting driving around the crack house over and over again.
Knowing that Jesus name is the most powerful name- I looked forward to hearing what was happening in this crack house while Jesus name was being spoken.
1. Shannon left the house days earlier than typical- a normal binge for her lasts 3-5 days with out eating, sleeping, or drinking anything. After we showed up- we ruined the party. PTL. I got a text from her at 2:00 a.m.that night "I'm home. U can call me if u want." I called and told her that I loved her, everything was going to be ok.
2. Shannon said that when she got to the house that afternoon, that a guy said to her, "You look different- something has changed about you. You have never looked like this before." Even then, she knew what he saw- she told him that she was learning to fall in love with Jesus.
3. After we messed up the party- she said she couldn't do the drugs anymore. She had her head in her lap and when she looked down at the floor, she saw a tiny little cross...imagine that... a little cross on the floor of a crack house!
4. She had a great deal of anxiety and didn't want to leave the house. The people inside kept telling her- they are gone- you can leave now. She told them- "I can tell they are not gone- I know they are out there somewhere!" She says she could feel our prayers- at times much greater than at other times.
Shannon was looking for help. She has lived in Bloomington for 7 years and has isolated herself from everyone. Her mother died of a drug overdose 8 years ago. Her father has disowned her because she ruined his reputation.
Shannon is like thousands of women that are looking for love. Are you willing to share God's love with her? Her life is messy. Are you willing to invest in those that need to experience God's grace first hand?
"Is my faith strong enough to encounter sin and love the sinner until he or she will realize and respond to the Source of that love?" written by Mark Taylor, Christian Standard.
I need more people willing to get in the lives of the hundreds of people that enter the doors of Eastview that are looking for this love. Can you help me put God's love in action?

4 comments:

  1. Oh Nicki this is the stuff that gets me going! How stinking awesome is this? God *is* good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To understand the power of prayer you must first believe God is bigger than all the mess. Nicki I thank God for not only the way you believe, but also for the way you move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nicki these stories show that we are never so bad that God will not grant us salvation. All we have to do is ask. Since I was diagnosed last week with a form a cancer, my relationship with God has under gone some major changes. First and for most I asked him to give me strength to get through this. And he has. I rarely think about having cancer. However since it is on the back of my left hand it is extremely difficult to ignore. I did not expect such a fast turn around. On 5/28/10 I celebrated 30 years of sobriety. He freed me from the bondage to drugs and alcohol. And finally he was there when I had my 5 by passes. Prayer works and God still does miracles in 2010. All we need to do is ask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now..."strength and honor are her clothing." Proverbs 31:25

    Another beautiful testimony of God's grace, thank you Nicki.

    And the answer is yes, not only will I continue to pray for the ministry but I will join you in reaching out to put God's love into action. I have an idea!

    ReplyDelete